CITY ISSUES CALL TO ARTISTS
FOR PUBLIC ART AT NEW ROUNDABOUT
A Call to Artists is underway for the creation of an original landmark sculpture to be placed at a future roundabout at Orange Avenue and Ringling Boulevard and will become part of the City’s permanent art collection.
Specific details about the project, including budget, the application process, and selection process are posted at www.CallForEntry.org.
Artists with a proven track record of creating significant outdoor public art commissions, which can withstand the Florida elements, are encouraged to apply. The deadline for submissions is July 10, 2016.
- 1 - The piece should be high quality and free standing
- 2 - Complement the Orange Avenue/Ringling Boulevard roundabout location
- 3 - Require minimal maintenance (no water features)
- 4 - Must be an original design
- 5 - Can be appreciated from a distance (does not draw people toward it)
- 6 - Must not exceed 20 feet in height
7 - Must not display messages or contain signs, flashing lights etc.
The project budget cannot exceed $150,000.
Artists are required to submit qualifications, digital images and a brief description outlining their initial concept for the project.
Images of completed works within the City’s public art collection can be reviewed at: www.SarasotaGov.com
Three finalists will be invited to present their proposals to the Public Art Committee. The Public Art Committee will make a recommendation to the City Commission, which will have final approval.
- Submission Deadline: July 10, 2016
- Submissions Review by Public Art Committee: July 2016
- Finalists’ Presentations to Public Art Committee: September 2016
- Recommendation Presented to City Commission: November 2016
- Artist Under Contract: December 2016
Installation: November 2017
Staff members with the Neighborhood and Development Services Department, which oversees the public art program, are coordinating this public art project far in advance of the construction of the Orange Avenue/Ringling Boulevard roundabout, to ensure the sculpture is ready for installation when the roundabout opens. Construction on the roundabout is expected to begin in Summer 2017.